View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #36
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

A new KoboGlo user from this morning (at long last, they delivered...). Version 2.4.0 of February 2013. My previous device was a PRS-505 which died of overwork three weeks ago after four and a half years of intensive service.

As far as the fonts are concerned, I am overall very happy with the KoboGlo offer (Amasis, Avenir, Caecilia, Georgia, Gil Sans, Kobo Nickel, Malabar, Gothic MB101, Ryumin, Open Dyslexic). I will add some other fonts that I will place in a fonts folder as advised.

embedded fonts

One minus is that I cannot read properly my own EPUB books which make use of embedded fonts, even when I select "Document par défaut" (default doc). I get a lot of strains on the screen. Of course, if I switch to any Kobo "factory" font, it gets better, but I still do not get a correct display of the "Linux Libertine Display" font that I use for titles and dropcaps because it seems that Kobo does not provide a replacement for it. I have read that this is an unresolved Kobo bug and I just can confirm it.

The display of my PDF books (published in 6 inches format) with exactly the same embedded fonts and dropcaps, on the other hand is just perfect.

I will report later with my other fonts trials (including ttf and otf fonts).

semibold

I have had the opportunity to open a Kindle set of fonts. I remarked that, contrary to the Kobo set, all the regular fonts were in fact semibold. Of course, they look probably darker on the screen but I consider this not to be needed.

I will try to use semibold fonts to replace not regular but bold fonts (and semibold italic to replace bold italic)

Last edited by roger64; 03-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote