View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I know all Pearl screens should be similar and I have never heard anyone saying that Nook's have better screens.... but that model I saw in store had a much better screen than the other models on display - SONY 350 and T1, various Kindles and Kobo Touch. The Nook just stood out...
I actually went back to a Sony x50 with PRS+ after owning the Nook Touch.

I was happy with the wireless, delivery, etc. Just that while the Nook STR has greatly improved how the Nook handles side-loaded content, it is still worse than the Sony line has been for 2-3 generations now.

To me, the biggest deal is that the device gets out of my way when it comes time to read. The Kobo has the most useful home screen out of the box (IMO), because of this. The home screen can be my reading list. I can read a periodical and go back to my book with just a couple button presses. The Nook is pretty poor in this area with lots of wasted space on the home screen. The T1/x50 come in second behind the Kobo, but PRS+ can fix the x50s to my satisfaction, and I managed to produce a tweak to get the same out of the T1 as well (show recently opened on the home screen).

Having good categorization of books is the other big deal, and the fact that the Kobo doesn't have shelves in any sense, and the Nook doesn't expose any way for apps like Calibre to auto-shelve for me got old really quick. Even with the issues, the T1 is hard to beat in this area, except maybe by the x50s.

The Nook has been no more stable for me than the T1, but then again, I am not one of the folk hitting the T1 crashes. I can't deny that they happen though, and the Nook is probably more stable at this point. I just found out that really the only thing I like over the Nook vs the x50 is the font selection, and I got that with PRS+. Amasis on the T1 has less 'fuzzy' text in my books than the Nook did, as well, oddly enough.

It feels like a lot of companies are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (Sony, Nook and Kobo are all doing it). I'd go Kindle if that didn't mean tying myself more closely to their ecosystem. Right now I like the fact that I can lookup, buy and download from most ePub sellers on the T1 without whipping out the PC.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote