View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #53
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm going to bump this as I really need new recommendations.

When I look at the books I love; Anathem, A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky, The Forever War, the thing they have in common apart from strong central concepts is a focus on characters and their interactions. Any suggestions along those lines?
ok, after seeing this I have to go back to heinlein and recommend a few more.

Friday
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Podkayne of Mars
Rocket Ship Galileo
The Puppet Masters * (a favorite. i dont know for sure but believe that various adaptations of this concept became the movies of that name. If based on heinlein, they are very loose because heinlein does not do horror.)
The Rolling Stones (nothing to do with music)
Farmer in the Sky
Starman Jones
Citizen of the Galaxy
The Number of the Beast
JOB: A Comedy of Justice
Nothing Ever Happens on the Moon
I Will Fear No Evil

any of the Lazarus Long series, although plan for lots of strange genetics connections and sexual relationships among folks that are essentially all multiple generations and both genders clones of the same dude. The stories and explorations of this theme are quite interesting and can keep you occupied reading for quite some time.
Some of these are: The Door into Summer, Time Enough for Love, Methuselah's Children, From the Notebook of Lazarus Long, To Sail Beyond the Sunset

Despite the length of this list, these are just my favorites. There's a ton more of Heinlein's stuff out there, but I consider these the goodies.
Then, of course, there's
Stranger in a Strange Land
which I'm mentioning last because I'm assuming you've either read it or heard of it before

Bold is for uber favorites.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote