View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
VividTree
VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo touch
Thank you everyone for responses!

LovePlanetEarth, I have added some of the readers you've pointed out, and will add the rest of Hanlin ereaders shortly.

Belfaborac, will add the Sony PRS-950 as well.

I know that there are still many ereaders to be added to the database and I'm constantly working on adding more. If there's anything you are missing in particular, please let me know.

Quote:
Your site is very good indeed, but I do have one suggestion:

I would suggest that the very first thing you should do is to ascertain which COUNTRY the user is in. That's the primary determining factor in choice of reader, and everything else is dependent upon it. I'm sure your site is useful to the 5% of the world's population who live in the United States, but most of us do not .
Yes the country and availability of ereaders in various countries is a big issue. I still haven't found a way how to solve this in an elegant and straightforward manner. I don't want to restrict ereaders by a country, because nowadays it's easy to order something online internationally or ask a friend overseas to send you a device. Maybe something like "Primary countries" for an ereader would make sense. I don't know. Still thinking about how to make this work so that it's both useful and convenient.

Same kind of challenges I'm having with trying to capture battery life. Should it be in hours/days or number of page turns? Should I just display the battery capacity? How can I get my hands on actual battery life data? Again, suggestions in this area are welcome.

Quote:
Great site but how often are you checking the links to retailer sites? It would be better if your site told us the item was currently unavailable than clicking through to a retailer site, where we are told the item is unavailable - iRex Dr 800 for example.
Currently this is a manual process, but I want to automate it in the future, so that the prices/availability are always up-to-date. Yes, this is definitely another thing that can be improved.

Quote:
Other search parameters might be weight (some want a light Reader), text-to-speech feature, possibility of connecting external devices (speakers, keyboard etc).

I concur with earlier poster, it is a great site.

I noticed that you had USB devices listed. That sort of covers what i meant by external devices, but the device also needs to support it. Some have USB ports only for charging it.
I will add all existing parameters to the search form shortly, so that it's possible to search by weight, etc. Planning to add dimensions as well.

As for USB devices, it is very difficult to find some detailed info. For now, if I see that a reader can function as a USB master or supports external devices I just specify the "USB peripherals" parameter as "Yes".

Quote:
I filtered on formats, selected epub and pdf and it showed Kindles as an option. They're pdf compatible but not epub.
Thank you for the tip. I've noticed that Kindle Fire had epub specified and I removed that format from it's list.

Quote:
Why do you include readers that were never make. Such as the one from Plastic Logic
This is a good question. Actually with Plastic Logic, I found out that the reader is not released only after I did my research and entered the info into the database . I guess it won't hurt to have readers that were a prototype or a to-be-released model, as people might still be looking for info on those. This is similar to old ereaders that are already out of production and cannot be found in stores.

Please keep your comments coming!

I am really delighted that people like the site, but I'm also trying to find out what's missing from it or how to make it more useful.
VividTree is offline   Reply With Quote