View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I think it's an interesting idea, but I still see the large format as a problem, rather than a solution. Sure, it would be a nice way for newspapers to display their content (replete with ads and such, and without the need to reformat for another medium), but where's the advantage for the consumer? Isn't one of the advantages of the Kindle its portabilty? The laptop I'm typing this on right now has a footprint not much larger than 8 1/2" by 11". Something that size, as thin as a Kindle 2 (or even a Kindle 1) is an accident waiting to happen.

And this all so that you can subscribe to the NY Times from it?

Definitely not for me. Possibly it'd work if you had some enhanced content or more features than on a current Kindle (e.g., color, a touchscreen that you could do the crossword (which would have to be included in the price) with). Otherwise, I just don't see how you could justify it, when you can either a) get the newspaper over the Web for free on a laptop (again, at about the same size, if not the same orientation) or b) subscribe to the paper newspaper, if you really want that format.

As a subsidized device (i.e., you subscribe to the paper, you get the device) it could work, but it would probably be a one-trick pony, at that point, unless it gave you access to all NY Times-affiliated papers.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote