View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #108
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So in order to make sure that a small fraction of the population can make a living as artist, we will ask ISP, law maker, police, the whole judiciary system and the train company from a few threads up, to spend millions of dollars in technologies and staff (with pension mind you) to make sure that the content created by a few is not illegally copied and to collect a few extra cent that the artist will probably never see in the end...

I'm sorry, but the energy/money invested in this would not justified the result. World hunger would be higher on my list of social problem to address.

If the current creative business model does not work with the introduction of new technology, then Darwinism to them.

I would love to quit my job and be a captain in the Caribbean in the winter and be an 'ébéniste' in the summer. But I wouldn't be able to pay my bills and raise my kids the way I want (ok, the way wife wife want). So until the day I can afford to give myself up to my dream, I work as a sysadmin. That's my reality, and probably a good lot of other repressed creator on this forum and around the world.

So before we spent all our effort on putting DRM, tracking device, and other magical technologies, which btw would not solve the issue at hand since most pirated book are OCRed, why not spend our effort on this forum in finding a new business model that would make sure that the writer/artist can still make a decent living out of their art and continue to benefit society as a whole?
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote