View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Wired Article- No Universal Format

Sorry if this is a repeat post!

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...e-books-format

Quote:
That means, she said, that the book industry will become more like the movie business. “The book publishing industry is becoming more blockbuster focused,” she said.
I have to say I totally disagree with that one. I think the big publishing houses are focused on the next blockbuster book. I think that more books will be available over all, not less.

Quote:
Susan Petersen Kennedy, president of Penguin Group USA, said publishers will not make the same mistakes as the music industry, which had an epic struggle over electronic distribution and piracy and lost huge market share.
I am sorry to say I think you are repeating the mistakes of the music industry.

Lack of a universal format is not the issue IMO, most of the devices support epub, I think pricing and availability are the bigger issue. Many books are still not available in digital format, and many of the ones that are available in ebook format are priced too high.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote