View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
My first impression was that the initial photo looked a bit like a front-lit screen with the light on. It looks lighter than their previous screens. On the other hand, I didn't see this in the additional photos and I suspect the screen in the photo was digitally brightened - especially if the reports are true about their anti-front-light stance. However, I very much hope I'm wrong and they DO have a front-lit option.

With my poor eyesight, having a front light or clip-on light makes a huge difference even in the late afternoon, even though I'm already jacking up the text size. I recently purchased the Sony lighted cover for my T1 and I actually think the screen is easier on the eyes with the (properly adjusted) Sony light than the Kobo Glo screen is, when lit. It's quite nice. BUT I have to do an awful lot of fiddling around with the light to minimize the annoying glare off of the frame of the device or off of the screen itself.

If the new device has a matte frame, maybe I would be happy with another lighted cover instead of a front light - but the Sony models tend to be insanely expensive.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote