View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Any kind of copyrighted ebook repository out there?

Thinking on the Public Domain Day 2013 thread, it makes me rather sad to think how long it may be before some books will be public domain.

I am digitizing some rare titles, stuff *I* liked when young that I wanted to have a re-read of for nostalgia's sake. I didn't realize when I started to find them that so many would be really hard to get!

But I will be long dead before any of these titles would be in public domain. Even the boys series I'm working on that was published in the USA in the mid to late 1920s all had the copyrights renewed (I checked.) so I don't think it likely I will live long enough to distribute them.

Of course, it probably wouldn't be legal but I wish there would be a way it could be! With a lot of us out there digitizing stuff and proofreading, it would sure be nice if somewhere there was a repository, a place where folks could submit their texts or finished ebooks and then, when they finally became public domain, they could be released.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. I'm just afraid that by the time many of these books are public domain, there will hardly be any paper copies left to scan the texts from.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote