Thread: Laptop Choices
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeah, it has been like that for a while. Granted, about 70% of the price difference (before discounts) is for the operating system. Like the case, power supply, and optical drive, it can be carried forward as you upgrade. RAM and hard drives are sometimes an issue too: I've found that systems vendors tend to charge a lot to upgrade the RAM and hard drive. Often the RAM slots are filled, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. Many systems don't even have the space to add a secondary hard drive, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. The list can go on, depending upon your requirements.
That's why I was so delighted with the Lenovo. Standard case, standard RAM, standard disks, standard power supply, bays for additional disks. Easily upgradable to i7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Anyhow, at least the options are out there so people can buy what they want and in the form they want: laptops, prebuilt desktops, custom built systems, and home built.
It is amazing. And all are so inexpensive that it's not unreasonable for one person to have a desktop, laptop, tablet, and a smart phone. That's a lot of computer. Very few people share a common computer these days. That might be the most wonderful thing of all.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote