View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #64
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm sorry, but Open Office is a closed program. It will not run on a VAX running VMS. So it's no good. It's too closed. Do you have something that will run on a VAX with VMS to make ebooks. If not, I'm afraid, what you have is closed. I hope you know that you've chosen to use a closed program. It cannot run on a VAX with XMS, then well, it's just a closed format.
Open Office has a port to OpenVMS. According to HP (who now have the former DEC VMS/OpenVMS operations), user-mode code for VMS should run on OpenVMS. Privileged-mode mode code may require changes and relinking. (I haven't logged time on a VAX since before OpenVMS existed, and have no idea offhand if Open Office on OpenVMS does anything that requires privileged-mode.)

If it in fact doesn't run on VMS but does run on OpenVMS, hey, the source is available. It should be possible to get it to run on VMS. All that is required is someone with the development environment and a need great enough to justify the effort.

And since the format for Open Office documents is documented, it should be possible to create VMS applications that can read/write them, even if Open Office itself isn't available.

If you want to pick fine enough nits, you can claim any format isn't open, since there will be some platform that won't be able to read it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote