View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #312
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Some good points. But, the fact that I am not interested in Harry Potter has been returned with sneers from several people that I know. If one likes it fine. Currently :

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, Quiet(A book about introverts), Life of Pi (apparently famous and a film, but never heard of it in this icy corner of Asia), Just finished God is not Great, my last five:

1. Decisions for War, 1914–1917 Richard F. Hamilton, Holger H. Herwig. 284 pages. (4 stars)

2. Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney 256 pages. (2.5 stars)

3. The inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. 384 pages. (3 stars)
Booker prize and all but a bit too convoluted at times.

4. How an Economy Grows and why it crashes by Peter D. Shiff and Andrew J. Shiff. 258 pages. (3 Stars). Some interesting Points even though I disagree with some of their views.

5. Solaris by Stanislaw Lem 224 pages. (4.5 stars). best book that I have read thus far.

Hope to speed up in the next two months have a lot of free time. Happy Reading Everyone.

P.S. I live Brain Candy too. Love slapstick and brainless films at times... Jackie Chan, Top Secret, bad B-movies. But Some Jurrasic no thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
But have you tried Harry Potter? It's like anything, and I'm the same. If I don't try something because of the 'type' (as I see it) of book it is, I am being narrow-minded and prejudiced. I've tried various books that I didn't think were my 'type' of books. That included Narnia and Harry Potter. I found Narnia to be poorly constructed and overrated (albeit with flashes of excellence). I also read Harry Potter reluctantly and discovered it's as good as Dickens (at least the first book). I watch movies reluctantly but Jurrasic Park was a well-constructed entertainment. I force myself to watch entertainment movies and 50% of the time, I'm glad I did. They are short and often well-constructed and entertaining.

The ugly truth is that a lot of people don't try Harry Potter because it's a 'children's' book.

Incidentally, what do you read?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote