View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I don't think anything eInk will or could release will cause overnight queues in the street.
But there are clearly improvements to be made.
Better contrast and reduced screen-flash would be obvious ones.
Screen flash? I haven't experienced screen flash since the first versions of Sony and Kindle.

I have mentioned several times that I do not want or need better contrast, but I accept that many people would. It is like printing in darkroom days - some photographers use high contrast film, paper and technique, while others (often award winning) prefered a softer contrast.

The issue from the point of view of the manufacturers is how much of the market will really value new standards enough to dump what they have and upgrade. Some people will love everything new - just because it is new and for little other reason, but many, if they cant see a dramatic difference in a new screen will stick to what they have. I really don't believe that eReaders are like iPhones, most of the the people who own them don't have an obsession with "State of the Art". Look how many were calling for a colour eInk screen, yet when they released one, almost no one bought them.

There will be a steady increase in quality and functionality with eReaders, but to try to equate them to tablets with their annual high visibility model upgrades not realistic. The eInk Corporation hasn't gone on vacation, they are still fully involved in R&D but many of the changes over the next few years are unlikely to impress those who feed their ego rather than their needs with upgrades. You know the type, those who insist on saying in everyday speech "I have an iPhone 4s" rather than just saying "I have an iPhone".
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote