View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On this point, I wonder if it might be possible for Calibre to add support for Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) that is now used by newer versions of Android in lieu of USB Mass Storage. Probably a difficult undertaking, though, particularly given the general lack of support in Linux and Mac.
Kovid has been thinking about adding MTP support. He says there be dragons there, so only he can say yes/no or discuss 'when'.

Related topic: I recently got an android 4 (ICS) device, so solving the connection issue has moved up my list. My son and I are considering making an "over-the-air" Android device connector.

I would do the device work in calibre, and he would do the Android app. Our current thought is to have the phone connect to calibre over wifi when the app is started, which would then appear as a connected device in calibre. Destination folders, formats, and the like would be chosen on the phone instead of calibre, easing using more than one phone at a time. There are some interesting issues to work out, such as detection of books already on the device.

If things go well, then we will consider adding program-specific support, such as directly importing books into Aldiko's DB. This isn't needed for FBReader (which I use), but it might be useful for other reader programs. We will see.

We should start working on this stuff in a couple of weeks.

Full disclosure: although the calibre side will be free and open source, the android app won't be free. My guess is that he will charge around $1.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote