View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Indented paragraphs do of course matter if they indicate scene breaks etc. However, in my experience they're not uniformly used. For example, in some books the first paragraph of a chapter is indented while in others it isn't. The same goes for paragraphs interrupted by tables, images, poems etc.
It's these cases that Dylan Tomorrow's use of the :not selector primarily addressed and which otherwise would have to be handled by manual style overrides. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the :not pseudo selector is not on the black list of prohibited pseudo selectors in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
I'll have to go back and look at it, but from my recollection, the short of it is, without a named class, no fallback coding could be used for Dylan Tomorrow's suggested coding. This is the argument I was making, above--why not satisfy the reader, instead of our inner geek? Why is it more important to use the selector, than a named class? Are we at the point that one is "more right" than the other, as was (apparently) decided for spans? As I've said before, yes, we've all seen spans abused to death, but that doesn't mean that "all spans are bad," and certainly, named paragraph classes clearly aren't. Just using a selector doesn't make us better coders, and, as I also said--besides bragging rights to each other, who's going to actually SEE it? Other than the reader, whom we've dismissed?

Quote:
IMHO, it's indeed a "cracked idea" to assume that users do read the manual, and, based on my personal experience, most software developers target their software at the most stupid uninformed user and do their utmost to ensure that input and output files comply with whatever standard they decided to support, because it'll make it easier to bugfix and support their software in the long run.
You're of course right in that the absence of an error message doesn't necessarily mean that a feature is supported, because a sloppy or overworked software developer might have missed implementing an error check for it.
The KDP Guide already told you that the counter wasn't supported. That was my point. My experience with the KDP Guide has been that they expect the "simplified" formatting guide to be used by idiots, and they patently expect the "real" formatting Guide to be used by those who understand it (as they mention in the front). I can absolutely guarantee that you'll never get an error message on fonts that won't work (I don't mean Type 1's; I mean all the OTHER fonts that have mystery problems). So...I would never assume that lack of an error message means that the use of X is allowed, or tolerated, or okay, or anything else.

And, as I've mentioned here previously, the "preview mobi" that can be downloaded from Step 5 is NOT actually representative of the final product. The SRL can be changed, and FONTS can be changed, or stripped entirely--many a slip, cup and lip, and all that. I'd be very hesitant indeed to use selectors expressly stated to be not supported without uploading a book, putting it on sale, downloading it and putting it on every single device possible, because the rather unexpected results lately from the KDP uploads are...unexpected. And not even for the use of unsupported elements.

FWIW. We all know what opinions are. That was mine.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote