View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Higher resolution/contrast -- yes. But, for easy access SD-card slots it seems to be the opposite. They were available in the first and second generation eReaders, but these days less and less.

It seems to be manufacturers do the minimum they can get away with. Innovation doesn't seem to be as fast paced as I'd like to see
Well, I'm sure you are right with regard to some devices, but I was referring to the fact that on the first Nook you had to open the back cover to insert an SD Card and then they listened to the users and put the SD Card slot outside.
I never had a Kindle so I did not realize until today that they don't have expandable storage (I just saw this now on Wikipedia).

As for the pace of innovation, if you think that it takes at least a year to bring out a new product it follows that on the whole the four best known (by me) e-reader manufacturers have pretty much kept up a continuous R&D effort since they started.

It is true that my ideal e-reader does not exist yet (I would like an e-reader that is waterproof, shockproof, colour eInk and with a dual screen configuration, one like a normal 6" screen for reading fiction and then you could slide or unfold a second 6" screen that would almost seamlessly be set alongside the first one to give you a much bigger reading area for newspapers, websites, technical manuals, colour magazines, comic books, etc. Oh and the eInk would be a lot more responsive so that you could browse the internet at leisure, with the exception of videos maybe).
And yes I would like this e-reader to be available now (even next year would be good for me).

But in the meantime, I think what we have is pretty good.
Of course that may mean I am too easily pleased and thus am not a good person to listen to in the search for progress...
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote