View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yes, numerous times, what's the truth?
It's very clear that Mayor Langford advised residents to leave Atlantic City. It's also clear that Christie has politicized the governance of opponents relentlessly in the past and tends to approach press conferences with a kind of aggressive subjectivity, as if he were giving intimate interviews that verged on diaristic.

What I haven't seen reported is whether or not Langford actually implemented or restated Christie's explicit evacuation order. If Langford did not, then Christie has a point.

Whatever the case, Christie was completely wrong when he claimed that Mayor Langford had opposed the evacuation (as I heard him say just before the storm hit). Christie carefully rephrased the charge a few days later, saying that Langford "sent mixed messages" to the population of Atlantic City -- a charge which is serious enough in itself, but especially so if people truly weren't ordered to evacuate by the Mayor as well as the Governor. It's difficult enough to make people take an evacuation order seriously.

If we ever get to the truth, it will probably happen after the next election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlia
Im in brooklyn williamsburg
Last night, I posted here after staying awake for twenty-two hours. I didn't want to risk sounding flippant because I was tired, so my apologies for waiting until now to respond.

Three of my friends in Brooklyn have been walking or biking to work in Manhattan. One of them lives next to the Lorimer stop on the L line, so she's quite close, but what's rather interesting is that she's also pregnant. Part of me suspects she doesn't want to give away the fact she has a ride from a co-worker (impropriety, etc.), but then I think of my friend and former co-editor in Brooklyn who lives more than twice as far away and made a point of walking from his place on Greene Ave to the bridge and across to the Lower East Side, which he did every day from the third day of the blackout until yesterday. Perhaps he's even doing it today as well, though I doubt it because of the cold.

If there's anything I can do to help, mizzlia -- any anecdotal, visual or empirical information about transportation to which I might have access -- let me know and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote