View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
My concern about splitting the map wasn't technical, it was about the user experience of trying to mentally combine the two. Given other concerns, I decided to go ahead and try a test conversion with split maps. I did it with tablet setting (no scaling). The result:
  • In Calibre viewer, it looks very nice, with each map section filling one page and a title line on the same page, no spurious blank pages.
  • On my Sony 700, each jpg nicely fills the screen. But the title lines show on separate pages from the map images.
  • In ADE for PC, the titles are separated and I see only a portion of each image. There seems no way to scroll down to see the rest of the image. Not good.
  • In Nook for PC, same as ADE. I don't have a Nook, so I don't know if that's just because the desktop software sucks.
  • In Sony PC software, the title line separates, but I can scroll the image down to see the whole thing.

Haven't tried doing a Mobi/Kindle yet. And have no idea what it'll look like on an iPad.

Obviously, I would like to find a compromise setting that works on as many devices as possible. Any suggestions on changes that might help?

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote