View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Marcs1102
Marcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: none
[How To] Adding Links to big network files

if you create a shortcut to a big file on another machine, you can Drag/Drop it onto your calibre library (Book is added but file is not copied, a LNK format is added with Author/Series/Title (or whatever your regexp for add books is)

why putz with it? i have libraries of zipped audio books (extension zab) on my network, but don't want to add those HUGE files to calibre, so this way it adds a line into calibre, that looks the same on the screen as other formats (.epub .mobi etc becomes a .lnk)

just a note (handy for me, or maybe an idea for others) i use (The Free) VLC Media player and have extension .ZAB set to play with vlc.. when i click on the calibre entry the audiobook is played, or i can click on it without calibre and it plays..

note two, you MUST use Drag/Drop to add the shortcut/LNK's to calibre (if you try and use 'add books' the whole big file is copied)

note three, not sure what the limit is, but i have tried it with adding 286 shortcuts/links at a time

note four, how to quickly create a shortcut/link... in FILE explorer (not IE) - right click on the file and select create shortcut, rename if needed, and then Drag/Drop to your Calibre library.... Eazy Peazy
Marcs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote