View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob101 View Post
While i dont agree with the copying of another companys look I would guess that the majority of the components in the Kindle are probably manufactured by the same factory or at least a similar factory that supplies the creator of this reader.

Most electronic devices are made in China anyway. So the quality of the hardware may not be far of the kindle.

Just my 2 cents
True, most electronic goods (and most of everything else these days, it seems) is made in China. I did not mean to say that good products cannot be made in China. That would be nonsense. But the key is strict quality control --- which companies that work for the local market often do not have, since prices they can get for knockoffs tend to be ridiculously low.

As far as I know, the Kindle is made by Foxconn which is a subsidiary of Hong Hai Industries. They are one of the biggest electronics OEM companies and would never be stupid enough to copy a product which they produce for somebody else and commit commercial suicide. And while it cannot be ruled out that some subsuppliers sell parts elsewhere they would be careful about offending a big customer, too. Even if they do, the companies that produce knockoffs have less stringent standards and pay a lot less for parts, so they would still not be the same quality. An example, iphone knockoffs sell for around $100, a factory unlocked (not the subsidized kind they sell in the US) iphone costs 6-700.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote