View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
is it ;debugOn or ~debugOn on the 4? I don't know

Then one would type ~usbNetwork (or ;usbNetwork)

you are mixing your prefixes for a start. it is either ; or ~ (no 4 can't check)

About DIAGS: NO! diags is totally separate to anything to actually "do" with the networking. although it does have a section for networking in it. (which is what I originally thought you were talking about)

"DIRECT" answer to my question(s):
Spoiler:
Mate. I don't mean to be rude but "DIRECT" answer to my question. The most direct answer has been given over and over, read the docs and the wiki on the subject, that info is straight from the docs and bunch of threads / wiki entries on the subject. (heh, no surprise there, Niluje wrote the docs) and yes I know you say you read them for days.... well there are plenty of days worth of info in there... Seriously I would give them another look over (and I did) because it reads like you still could benefit from looking over the docs - given your new found knowledge.

Hawhill has provided extensive guides (before) about enabling Kvncviewer (on the thread and elsewhere) as have I and others (it's a popular app) hence my personal reticence to type it all out again everytime someone asks the same question. I can possibly dredge up one of those links once you actually manage to start your usbnetworking

So. Things to find out: is it a ~ or a ; on a 4...

(I thought it was ; but I may be wrong, I'm going to type ; from now on)

you could run a ;dm (dumpmessages?) to grab some logs and check the debugOn is working (I think that is right)

assuming it was a ; you would type ( in the search bar)

;debugon
;usbnetwork
;debugoff

That should initiate the process. then you would try to connect.
Thanks for the response, mate. I have been trying to do this in the last 4 days since I got this K4NT. Now, actually feel very frustrated.

I am confused with the difference between the installed usbnetwork and the Enable USBnet in the Diags mode. What do they do respectively?

I am going to read all the docs again. But only the usbnetwork doc is difficult enough for me. Because it is for Linux users and it mentioned about K4 but didn't say exactly what I should do for the K4 either.

About the ; or ~

this is what I got in the readme_first.txt doc.............

* You'll need to be in debug mode to run private commands, so, on the Home screen, bring up the
search bar (by hitting [DEL] on devices with a keyboard, or the keyboard key on a K4, for example), and enter:

;debugOn

* And now we can enable usbnet:

~usbNetwork

(Or `usbNetwork on FW 2.x)

* Your Kindle should now be detected as something like a RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget or CDC Ethernet Device network adapter.

* If you don't need to enter any more private commands, switch debug off.

;debugOff
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote