View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The ergonomic qualities of a reader, I think, Spiffy, are completely altered when a cover is brought into play. I love my wee 505, but it always somehow felt a little awkward in my left hand (the hand I usually used to hold and/or support a treebook). It became a completely different experience with a custom-made flip-top leather cover. So, really, it's the cover rather than the reader itself that makes my reading so comfortable in my case. Cheers. Neil
The 505 is an extremely thin unit, so yes, I agree you need a cover to give you a sense of something to hold onto.

But I don't think it changes the ergonomics TOTALLY. It doesn't change the shape of your hands or the button locations, or your preferences for either one or two handed reading. What it does is increase the weight a bit, change the balance point, and provide more "traction".

In truth I think adding the cover on the 505 makes the location of the buttons even MORE unwieldy. I mean unless someone is descended from baboons their thumb isn't THAT long, and if they are carrying the weight of the unit with their palm across the middle of the unit, then stretching your thumb DOWN isn't exactly comfortable, or natural. With the weight increase from a cover, it makes it even more essential to hold it from the middle, otherwise it would be flopping out of your hands half the time.

I wonder what a series of polls would reveal about people here? Do they hold their readers one-handed or use two? Left or right hand? Do they most often put the unit down to rest on something or hold it up elevated? How do they use booklights (attached to the rim or a cover, or some kind of specialized lamp shining down from overhead)?

The people MAKING these units should be desperate for this kind of data too.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote