Thread: Recaps
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Where books of a series are published at widely spaced intervals (six months or a year) then I think a recap is probably appropriate - but keep it short, a just a few pages covering just the essentials. This is necessary because a significant proportion of people do not re-read books, and human memory is quite fallible. (Typically I would re-read a series before continuing with a new release.)

Where a series come out together, or very close, I don't think recaps are essential. If people are enjoying the series they will keep reading (immediately or quite quickly), and if not the recap is pointless anyway.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote