View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm only starting to use my 1100 after a long time of not using it. Two are here in Peru with me, but the intermitent problem is now permanent on one unit, leaving me with a perfectly working 1100 and TWO non-working units.

Where to get files:
You can get 1100 files here on MobileRead, files in the public domain. You can also convert RTF files. There was program for managing content and converting some RTFs into .RB (However, my previous HD crashed and I don't have that program on this new drive.)

BookDesigner - available here - will also convert RTFs into .rb files. There's a learning curve involved in its use.

Back when the store was in business, it was a simple matter of connecting a standard modem cable to the computer and then the registered 1100 would automatically dial. This cable was how one put purchased books onto the Reader.

Getting files onto the 1100:
I've found the easiest way is to take the card out of the 1100 and stick it into one of the card readers that reads these older cards. They're USB-based card readers, but because they accept this older card, you may have some difficulty finding one.

WARNING: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT--
ALWAYS TURN OFF THE UNIT BEFORE TAKING THE CARD OUT OF THE 1100.
AND --
ALWAYS HAVE THE UNIT OFF WHEN INSERTING THE CARD BACK INTO THE 1100.

I hope this helps in some way. I'm by no means an expert on 1100s, but I have taken 2 units apart so I know the innards, but not the technical aspect of the units.

I think one needed a driver for the operation of using the unit with the store, but I really can't remember. I know if all you want to do is put books onto the reader, then these older generation cards and the card reader is sufficient. I'm doing here - in Peru - and without that software. REMEMBER: ALWAYS TURN OFF THE UNIT. ALSO, ALWAYS HAVE THE UNIT OFF WHEN RE-INSERTING THE CARD.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote