View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #72
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Honestly, I think the Kindle is just a damn good ereader. The Nook garnered some good reviews, but it was clearly outdone by the Kindle. (Go back and look at David Pogue's review of the original Nook.) The Nook Color improved on the original Nook (in most areas, at least), so it'll be interesting to see how it does.

I haven't read through every post in this thread, but from the ones I've read, it seems that a lot of people are underestimating Amazo's influence as a storefront. I didn't see the Kindle a lot on TV (and frankly, the first batch of commercials for the Kindle were attrocious, from a "What can this thing do?" standpoint), but every time you go to Amazon's front page, there's the Kindle, front and center. That garners a lot of attention right there. Barnes & Noble, on the other hand, is a bookstore, primarily. People have a lot less reason to go to that site, because the merchandise isn't as broad.

And finally, I think Amazon just got the Kindle right this time around (with the exception of not having ePub support, which I know a lot of people would like). I loved my Kindle 1, but the aesthetics were horrible. The second generation was better, but not enough to justify buying it (for me, at least). With the K3, the screen improved greatly, it got smaller, and it got Wifi. That was enough to get people like me off the fence. I think that's why you're seeing a big pickup for them.

Of course, everyone's tastes are different. But I don't see any dedicated reader currently on the market ever catching up with the Kindle, if for no other reason than having Amazon behind it gives it a big advantage.
you bring up some good points. Though I think David Pogues review of the original Nook was a bit over the top and very exaggerated at times. Barnes and noble did rush a product out before all of the kinks were ironed out. And as the old saying goes you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. another point i found disappointing about Pouges' review was unlike many other gadget reviewers, he left out that most of the bugs were firmware update fixable. Many, such as Cnet , mentioned this. And they did. By Feb. many of the bugs were fixed and by v1.3 in April, the Nook now could go against any ereader.

You second point is spot on. Sooo many people shop at Amazn for a multitude of things from blu ray/DVD's to cables to books, to mp3 players to camera's etc. And what do you see on every single page, a Kindle ad. Nothing like free advertising.

BN, well unless you plan on shopping for books, the general public basically won't just jump into the BN's website or go to BN's store.

Myself, Amazon has been my go to store for my music downloads and now that I own a Roku, ( yes I did not follow the sheep and buy an inferior Apple tv ) Amazon Video on Deman is fantastic, so I always on the website browsing. since it's easier to browse via the website as opposed to the video streaming App. And yes that is all you see, the Kindle
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote