View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #326
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Are you trying to stop casual sharing amongst friends/family or wide scale sharing? DRM will only limit the former it will never limit/stop the latter.
I think my proposal goes someway towards the goal of a system that does not stop "casual sharing" (I would rather call this "social enjoying" or something like that, and I think it is important for society and culture) but strikes wide scale sharing.
Wide scale illegal media distributors are what media companies fear most (or say they fear most). However, I get the impression that these mass uploaders are mostly amateurs: today it's really really easy (and free) to get media, strip the DRM and upload. With my "social DRM" scheme, wide scale illegal media uploaders would need to pester their acquaintances to get the media in the first place, and would get ostracized as soon as the fines begin... Not being professional hackers and criminals, I don't think these people will bother to remove the metadata (especially if this is not straightforward), and will end up switching to some other hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
That leads me to believe the only viable option is no DRM. Perhaps small scale sharing should just be accepted and laws adjusted to make it easier for companies to pursue large scale piracy, with fines relative to the level of evidence gathered and certainty of involvement? However, that would imply involvement of the police or some other official investigative body and that in itself could open another can of worms
I agree about the can of worms! I would rather accept some form of DRM (provided it is carefully designed to damage ONLY illegal distribution, not -as today's systems- almost everything but that) than authorize generalized police snooping through people's files. The potential for abuse in the latter case is too high.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote