View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Going to buy first ebook device, help needed.

alright guys, I've been browsing this forum for over 2 months now and the time is near, I've waited long enough for the newer models/price cuts but am seriously in need of an ebook device.

I'm in Pakistan right now and was going to buy a ebook reader last year but refrained from buying since I heard many new readers will be announced at CES which will eventually lead to older models selling for cheaper. But so far there hasn't been much change and I can't hold out any longer. Buying books from amazon and even locally is way too expensive, most of the books I want have to be imported and cost a lot more than they would even in the US and UK.

What I need in the device.

Dictionary

A dictionary is a must. Its for me one of the biggest advantages of ebook deices over paper books. I'm sure everyone knows how annoying it is to put a book down to look up a word or writing it down to look it up later. I was thinking of getting the PRS 505 but I think there isn't a dictionary in it. Does anyone know any hack in it that allows for a dictionary and if so how does it work? Probably the only thing keeping me from buying the PRS 300.

PDF support

I will be reading pdfs mostly since I already have a prety good collection, none of almost 96% dont have tables or anything so I need something which can handle pdf novels, nonfiction well.

Reliability

Like I said im in Pakistan and will be getting the reader through a cousin whos coming here this month so I need something that won't break down on me after a month since getting it back to the US willbe costly. And since I might be getting a used device I don't want to be left with a junk in case the thing breaks down. I heard there are a lot of issues with PRS 600 I hope someone can elaborate on this.

Price - $160 to $250

Any advice would be appreciated.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote