View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore

This is the sort of book that makes me want to walk up to total strangers in the street, push the book in their face, and say "you want to read this book right now. Stop whatever you're doing and read it NOW."

I can't begin to describe it. It has a bit of the feel of magical realism about it, but the only magic is in Google's computers. It's not science fiction, not a lot of things - but what it is is perfectly charming.

Basically, an out of work coder finds a job working as a night clerk at Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. He discovers the real purpose of the store isn't to sell books, but to find the secret to codes hidden in obscure books. This leads to the discovery of a secret society - but not any secret society like Dan Brown writes about. There's no real antagonist, no chase scenes or danger, but it's a page-turner that I found difficult to put down.

All I can say about it is that it's excellent and really, you should read it. Right now.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-14-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote