View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Hello MikeX7,

I gave Bookpunch a shot (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit) and here are my notes:

When you open the Console using the "Show console" button' there doesn't seem to be a way to close the console window without closing the whole program.

The metadata editor is too basic and doesn't seem to always show the current values of the fields (it just comes up as an empty list of fields. Try http://contentserver.adobe.com/store...neChapter.epub).

I think the "Edit" dialog is a bit confusing:

1. It doesn't have a "Save" button to save the changes. You have to close the window and assume that it saves the changes. I would use a "Save & Close" button instead of relying on the "Close" button.

2. The "Discard" button seem to delete the book from the database. That was unexpected. I thought it would discard my changes in the form. Perhaps "Delete Book" would be more explicit?

When I edit the category field of a book and click the Close button, the EditBook windows goes all black and nothing happens. When I click the close button once more the window closes, but I don't see the category in the list of books.

I managed to crash the program by clicking around but there wasn't a way to capture the exception. Even when the console was open, since the program goes all unresponsive I couldn't copy the long exception message. It's somehow related to the Discard button (perhaps, when you change something in the fields and instead of closing the window, press the Discard button you get an exception? I don't know...) I suggest keeping the logs in a file in the same directory as the executable. That would help you a lot.

I also managed to crash the program once by clicking the 'Favorite' checkbox in the EditBook window.

There is not way to sort the books by author or publisher, or anything else.

The reason I tried Bookpunch is to see if you use the user's folder structure or copy them into your own (just like Calibre). Finding out that you copy the files, I lost my interest.

Verdict:
1. Bookpunch crashed so many times that I don't think it is ready for beta testing.
2. The metadata editor is too basic that I think it would be better off without a metadata editor.
3. Not using the user's folder structure is a show stopper for me (see: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tory-structure).

Good luck with your development.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote