View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #24
Cylv1
Cylv1 began at the beginning.

Device: Several, including Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I was able to restore just my recovery partition using your image and a spare sd card..my sn was still intacted after a factory recovery, thanks again KevinShort!
Do you mean that :
  • you did a factory reset and recovered your original SN (the one that is printed on the original label on the kobo packaging)
  • you did a factory reset and recovered some SN that did not only consist of 0s (and you did not check that it was actually your original SN)

I ask this because the SN occurs twice in the image of the microsd card.

By now I have a kobo glo with a broken screen and I tested that on its microSD-card:
-- make an image of the SD card with dd.
-- view the binary file with bview

My serial number occurs at these two offsets of the file:
-- offset 512
-- offset 1119558144

One can access these with bview :
Code:
bview -b 512 -s 16 koboglo.img
bview -b 1119558144 -s 16 koboglo.img
As the original microSD card has 3 partitions:
-- rootfs (256 MB)
-- recoveryfs (256 MB)
-- KOBOeReader

I suspect that the recoveryfs partition is just copied on the rootfs partition when applying a factory reset.

If KevinShort only modified the first occurrence of the SN (the one in the rootfs partition), then PeterT may now own a Kobo with the SN from KevinShort's.

In order to clarify this and tell if PeterT's assertion that "the serial #'s are NOT loaded from the recovery partition", could KevinShort tell us wether he modified both occurrences of the SN in the file, and freekobo tell us wether he did check that the SN was actually the one printed on his Kobo's box ?

Thanks !
Cylv1 is offline   Reply With Quote