View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #55
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
To say that, because any phrase might be offensive, no phrase should be changed is a very book-unfriendly stance. Writers and editors make the decision to avoid misleading connotations all the time. The point isn't that one is being pushed around by the bastions of political correctness. It's that a thought should be expressed without distractions. An idea shouldn't find itself in some inescapable box of associations.

I, too, thought of the KKK when I read the words Grand Wizard, partly because I've dealt with real-life racists and anti-Semites all my life. Why should Mobile Read be put in the position of seeming to condone or ignore racism when the issue can be made to vanish with the use of a synonym?

Now that you've dealt with Wizardgate, WT, perhaps you can have a look at the syntax and usage of the Mobile Read password prompt that begins, "Hello you there!" It isn't offensive, but it could be edited to make more sense.

And thanks, WT, for choosing to defend the humane position in your early days in the South. It's always easier to say nothing, which is why it's commendable to make a point of speaking up.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-02-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote