View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Seems fair to me. The US court system is telling a US company to provide data that the US company owns.
Microsoft is trying not to provide the data because it's stored elsewhere (And I'd lay pretty good odds that if the US court got an Irish search warrant the data would suddenly be in Switzerland).

If the UK HMRC asks me for information on where any money paid to me comes from they aren't going to give a damn if I'm banking in France.
The conflict is at least partially because EU and US data privacy laws are different. Microsoft is caught in the middle. They can't give up the data without a fight or they could lose the ability to do some kinds of business in the EU, plus the publicity hit would be huge. MS' point here is that they need a ruling on what precisely is legal because this involves international law in an area that is a huge mess of conflicting statutes.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote