Thread: Accessories Don't buy that junk!
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewterbot9 View Post
While I find my Pocket Edge to be a most elegant and exquisite piece of technology, well worth it's price, I have to say I am way less pleased at the poor quality and/or pricey accessories offered at their online shop. Here's my rundown:

- USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter: $30 (plus shipping/tax)...but the same can be purchased at an electronics/computer parts shop for around $15 (including shipping)...or at Amazon.com for the same amount (plus shipping/tax...still a good deal).

- USB Flex Neck (Soft Touch Black) Light: Eighteen dollars is just too much for something you can get at Walgreens for a few bucks. I opted for a $6 5-led head lamp that fits comfortably around my head with cloth stretch bands.

- Stylus, Replacement (3 Pack): Well, I haven't looked into this yet, but I'm sure I can find a similar stylus for considerably less than 3-for-30. (Considering Entourage's price gouging on all other accessories, it's a no-brainer.)
FWIW, I bought an adapter this summer in the Netherlands for about 10 Euros. It didn't work and I couldn't return it, so I had to buy another one. Wish I'd just bought the one from Entourage that I knew for sure would work.

I also nearly bought a reading light with a flexible neck, but was spared wasting any more money by being allowed to test it before buying it. The light was so poor that it was actually dimmer than the flashlight available through My Settings. I've seen (but not bought) the little light Entourage sells. It's much brighter than anything costing less than that price that I've seen.

As for the replacement stylus, I had a rather unfortuante design accident with my original stylus and had to replace it. Three for $30 isn't so bad, though I agree with Dr. T that shipping costs are a bit high.

And of course, you can always buy anything cheaper in a thrift store if you don't mind buying it used or without a warranty.