View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Leading Edge is fine, Bleeding Edge is just too painful.

I have always favored stable systems over the latest whiz-bangs. Maybe my laptop is still stuck back in the Win98SE days at 450 MHz on a P-3 chip, but it works very well and delivers the critical functions I need. (It is also one of their old Z505 ultra light series so it is easy to throw in a briefcase and take with me.)

For a phone I have the old Samsung i500 which has Palm OS 4.1 on it. Likewise my Creative Zen only plays MP3s and the rest of the portable electronics would draw only a sneer at a garage sale.

What is critical for me is that I can depend on what I have. Clients will not remain with someone that blames his or her equipment (no matter how true it is) for any delay or failure. I am slow to change the desktop -- the last upgrade was to a dual core 3 GHz Intel chip on an Intel board. It is not going to win any awards for speed from gamers but it will be there when I need it. The disks are mirrored RAID and backed up. Again, remove as many points of failure as possible.

I feel for you Bob, I too have ventured into unknown areas. Sometimes with good results such as the Sony Reader I picked up last November, and sometimes with results that are sitting in a box in the basement or have already gone to a recycle center because everyone on eBay was smarter than I was about the device.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote