View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #25
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Ghost Dog is an excellent film. I've read Hagakure, if I remember correctly it's more like a collection of thoughts and rules for the Samurai, than a philosophy book. Very interesting though, especially for the glimpse it offers into this alien (to us) mentality.
True it's not a philosophy book in it's purest form and it is as you say a book about the rules of the Samurai, but it gives an insight to Zen and Confucianism that was prevalent during Edo Era (1600-1868) Japan.

I saw the film before I picked up the book, perhaps this made it more inspiring to read. But I must admit it's not a book that you would read from 1 page to the other, more a book where you would hop around and pick up sentences here and there.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote