View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For the sake of others, if you turn the backlight off on a traditional LCD, you can see virtually nothing; you have to really look hard just to be aware that the screen can still be on while the backlight is off. Without a special reflective layer between the backlight and LCD (one of the things Pixel Qi provides), it would be pointless to be able to turn off the backlight, except for a power-saving feature on lack of use. If the iTab (that's what they should have called it) had the ability shut that off and still read, we'd know about it. That's not the sort of lede you bury. It'd be one of the more revolutionary features on the device.

With Pixel Qi screen tech, you can shut down the backlight and still have text be perfectly readable in direct sunlight (I'm not yet clear on just how much indoor lighting you'd need to read it with no backlight at all). The power savings are fantastic. As to its effect on eye strain, that's unclear, though not having white light pouring off the screen is bound to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

SOOOOOooooooo disappointed !!!
The lack of Pixel Qi is why I was disappointed in the Win7 tablets Balmer intro'd at CES. That would have been a killer product if Win7 could run on the right cortex or snapdragon platform.

But if your intent was to say you can't read for hours on an LCD without eye strain, I beg to differ. My Touch Pro2 is my main reading device. With a black background and green text, back light on minimum, and the reader application in full screen, I experience none of the eye strain I sometimes feel at my desktop.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote