View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
The copying argument is a technicality. An eBook can't be copied as many times as the library wants. A single eBook copy must be distributed serially or not at all. In other words, the library does not make a copy of the eBook, and then have two to distribute. They still only have one eBook to distribute.
The "still only have one to distribute" argument is also a technicality.

Which suggests to me that the are fundamental, qualitative differences between the two media. Which, in turn, suggests to me that it is a mistake to try to apply any of the logic of the print medium to the electronic medium. Any of the logic, in either direction.

Quote:
If you really want to look at it the way you are, then it follows that all the major eBook distributers are violating copyright by allowing customers to save the same book on multiple devices tied to the same account.
Except that they have contracts with the copyright holders what explicitly allow that.

Quote:
The fact that I have a book on my Kindle, my Nexus 7 and my iPhone all at the same time means I should have bought 3 copies, correct?
Only if the contract under which you bought the first two say so. Since the contact explicitly allows you to have multiple copies, you are allow to have multiple copies.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote