View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Galaxy Player 5 Half-a-year Along

I bought a GP5 late last year to replace my jetBook. It works. It wasn't without its problems or its advantages, however:

Problems:
1) Nothing really replaced the jetBook's breadth of format capability. I now use the Kindle app, fbreader and Cool Reader to do the things the jetBook did. I also have a freebie office suite reader to handle a few odd formats. I also have Mantano, Moon+, nook and Adobe loaded for specialized purposes.
2) The jetBook was stellar in sunlight. The Samsung sucks. Physics, go figure.
3) I waste a lot of reading time on YouTube, facebook, Currents and Google Reader.

Advantages:
1) Fiction scraping from the web is almost one stop with Google Reader and Pocket (ex-Read-It-Later). This reduces my need for specialized format handlers.
2) Like my old PDAs, the GP5 is great for night reading.
3) Android apps for a lot of things that I used PDAs for, but couldn't do on a reader.

All in all, the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. I've got no regrets.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote