View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #260
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I haven't been over there since I had to replace my phone this past spring when I laundered it (oops). Best Buy is not a place I am fond of - the cacaphony gives me a headache. But I was in there this spring for a phone, and looked at the readers in both stores while I was there.

Best Buy had the PRS350 and PRS950, but the display was deteriorating and I wouldn't be surprised if it is gone by now. Neither of the demo devices had anything on their screens. Broken, batteries dead, who knows? They also had a Nook display and a Kindle display, both in much better repair. And there were several tablet style readers with fancy displays. The backlit screens were more alluring in that dim, cluttered, overstimulated environment than the eInk devices. If I didn't already like eInk I probably would never look twice at it, in there.

Over at Borders it is quieter; a more pleasant reader shopping experience. They had wide counters at a comfortable height, and each reader sitting alone in a large empty space. I'm not sure what brands they all were. There was a Kobo, and there were some much less expensive readers that used displays like a digital watch, not sure what you call that kind of screen. Not eInk, not backlit. Greenish, with ugly square fonts? They definitely looked more primitive and clunky. There was a spot with a sign proclaiming the Sony Touch, but no actual device there at the time, and there was a PRS350 that, like Best Buy's, had a blank screen. Not very appealing I am afraid. I assume by now Borders will have a nice display for the new Kobo, but I haven't been in lately.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote