View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Can you give me more info? I've been trying swipe only (previously only used buttons as those are more comfortable for me) for the past two weeks in an attempt to experience what you guys are - and nothing so far. I haven't had a crash or freeze..maybe an extra page flip or so every so often, but nothing like a crash or a freeze.
If and how often it occurs depends on the device. The problem occurs frequently on some (several times in one evening) and seldom (once a week) or even never on others (or only once a month or once a year...).

My PRS-T1 I have seems to do it seldom, in the 1 1/2 weeks I have it, it happened only twice. Swiping is almost consistently okay, almost. But 2 occurrences is not enough too tell the actual frequency, maybe it will not crash for a whole week or maybe it is already the next page turn I will do.

From the reports so far it seems some have it more often than others which of course leads to a different perception of the severity of the problem and even denial by those who had the luck not to encounter the problem (up to now...).

My guess is the problem is a timing issue which are the type of bugs in realtime systems (such as a device driver) which are very hard to track down because it is not repeatable but depends on sheer luck of having an event just at the wrong time. Like Russian Roulette with a revolver with 1000 slots. 999 do not have a problem but the one shot does. And some have more bullets and others have none, making it all very unpredictable.

What makes this worse is when a Sony designer/tester adds debugging code to track down the bug, the extra code may well prevent the bug from happening at all. So it is not easy to find the cause. Maybe it cannot be found by debugging/testing but only by code review, analysing every possible path through the code.

But what is apparent is that the bug exists and is bugging the user off guard at unexpected times. It is just not reliable, you cannot trust the next swipe to succeed.

I hope this was clear to you.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote