Thread: iLiad iLiad kernel development
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
ulno
ulno began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Hi Antarctica,
thanks for the detailed reply. Nice to see, that the developer community for iliad is way more fresh than the device itself!

Sorry to disappoint you: I am not a kernel developer. My closest connections to kernel porting was related to some experience on the ps3.
My contributions to the OS community are more python and java based but my personal roots and lots of my work is C-programming - so I am not too afraid.

I just dumped my kindle due to its closeness in favor of the iliad and trying to get my hands dirty with setting up the toolchain and toying around with some chroot stuff. The last time I did something related was when I owned a Sharp Zaurus SL5500. I also am fairly limited in terms of the time I can commit, but I like to do some OS work just for fun.

My current goal would be just getting an armel debian on cf card in a latter kernel 2.6 with ethernet, wifi, (and powermanagement) and display support running. I could live without TTFS for a while. Before I really decide, how to create a nice boot environment, I would like first to get a small 2.6 kernel running via kexec. In the long term, I guess your third option sounds ok.

I have not yet read a lot about openinkpot, but my main concern would also be speed + notetaking ability. I would not mind, if I had to do some conversion on my Desktop to speed things up.

I hope this does not sound too ambitious or impossible.

Cheers and best,
Uli
ulno is offline   Reply With Quote