View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fair enough. I must confess that I'm the last one in the world qualified to pass judgment on Rowling's work; having seen only one movie and having read not even one of her books. My only criticism is her stance on ebooks. Now, she's the creator of those works; they are the product of her labor. As such, she has the right, in my opinion, to make those books available in any form she sees fit, or to prohibit their availability in whatever form she sees fit.

Just as I, as a reader, am free to say that if that's how she feels about those of us who prefer screens over paper, I won't be reading any of her works.
I have seen one HP movie in whole, out of curiosity. I have seen snatches of others, previews, laborious critiques and anticipations of her work, but have never read a line of an actual book where I had to open the cover, or felt a desire to do so.
Sometimes it seems that the ability to assimilate quickly the written word is a curse because opening that visual door slightly lets in things from outside you would rather not have known existed. So much is in the news about Harry Potter that I have learned way too much for my own comfort.

Same thing with the teenage vampire TV series, though it isn't that I don't like vampire movies or even vampire TV. I loved "Priest." I give great honor to the directors and writers of "30 days of night." "True Blood" is somewhat in the middle with comical leanings, and some interesting stuff, and the most deliciously hot vampire of all time, in my mind, "Jessica." I liked the vamps in the "Gates" single season also.
Maybe it is that I don't like Vampires in the 90210 context.

As for eBooks, that was a dumb move by Rowling. I heard that she was still trying to get in good with the "literary" world that took its time recognizing her, (so far as she was concerned.) Personally I can see it also, a kind of "Well, now do you love me and think I am wonderful?" It is that kind of Broadway mentality, where they hold their hand over their heart and bow to the audience.

My own problem with eBooks is that they are priced wrong. When you can get the same book after a year or so for $4.00 used with total legal control from Amazon and still have to pay $9.99 or $7.99 for the eBook that is actually limited in how you use it, that is foolish. I say after a period of time, no more than $6.00 for a new eBook, and if they can work out the technical details, $3.00 for a used eBook. Also there should be time frames associated with all these prices. When the books first come out, the eBooks can be priced higher.

WT, in summary, I think that we are both saying the same thing about "Dame" KT Rowling. "Let her rot in potterdamn," with none of this, "may her soul rest."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote