View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
While the notation is 'algebraic', it is not even close to being 'standard'. See
Algebraic Chess Notation on Wikipedia.
Wow. I see. I must say, just giving the start and end square locations as they do in the app seems much clearer. I've been using that way for some reason for years and just assumed it was standard. (I must have just inferred it at some point when reading my first chess primer: "Ah, Battleship coordinates...got it, I'll stop reading now." )

Quote:
There are (rare) situations where promoting to a queen would result in stalemate rather than a win, because doing so denies the opposing side the ability to move anything.
Ah yes, I can see that now. Thanks!
Quote:
But the point is, the rules permit a choice of promotion, so the game should allow it.
Indeed. I was just always wondering why anyone would. Now I know!

Quote:
I imagine they have dumbed things down in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience,
Perhaps true on the notation.
Quote:
and save a few days of programming and testing,
Almost certainly true for the other issues. Get it out there cheap, fast and first. As a developer, I understand that completely.

Quote:
but it seems a little lazy and dismissive of those of us who have a less casual interest in chess.
I've written to the company via their website to ask if they expect to continue development and offer updates. I'll post if they respond.

So, do you think it's worth the $3? Or just play on line and wait for the next Chess app?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote