View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
rynogeny
rynogeny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by causticmuse View Post
This is what I wound up having to do after buying a secure ebook from B&N expecting it to be secure eReader, and winding up with their proprietary secure ePub instead. It works fine on my JBL now.
This is my first post on this forum, and if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I was hit by the BN.com thing today -- I bought $40 worth of books from them this week expecting them to be in Secure eReader format, and they're not. I'm feeling like I've just made a charity donation to BN, because I have no interest in reading them on my PC. (I use an aging Windows Mobile PDA as an ebook reader.) I'm still floored that they don't indicate anywhere -- even in their FAQ -- that they've changed formats.

I know there are ways to strip the DRM so I can convert these files, and actually downloaded some Python scripts that look like they'll do the trick and then hit a snag. I've got a bit of tech background (beginning VB programming) but no real scripting experience. (I get an error message saying it can't locate the B&N Reader Installation, and I'm not sure what it's looking for.)

If someone could point me to a guide of some kind, I'd be forever grateful. Really. All I want is to be able to read the books I just bought... (the last ones I'll ever buy from BN.com, obviously. Their Customer Service rep told me they expect customers to only buy books for devices on their supported devices list, and to check that list every single time they buy a book. Um, yeah. Oh, and he also said that some books will still download as secure ereader files, but there's no way of knowing whether they will or not prior to the purchase.)
rynogeny is offline   Reply With Quote