View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
And the Amazon saga goes on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sorry, I have never dealt with Amazon's DTP so I have no idea what could be causing it.

Just to be clear, you're saying that the files you get back from the DTP service work on the kindle but not on K4PC? I can have a look at it if you create a simple file that when converted with calibre results in a not working file but when converted with kindlegen results in a working file.
Hi, Kovid:

Yes. When I create a .mobi from a Sigil-created epub via Calibre, the books dl'ed from Amazon (after being uploaded through the DTP, during which they are DRM'ed), work on the physical Kindle but NOT F4PC. FYI, it's important here to note, if you do not already know this, that Amazon attaches a second layer of DRM--a session ID, I am given to understand--to the K4PC books that is NOT present in the Kindle books. I don't know that this is the problem, but naturally, I'm suspicious. The mobi file pre-DTP works fine in both KNDL and K4PC.

I don't know how I would--I don't know how I could know if a file I made with KindleGen would work whereas a file I made with Calibre wouldn't, without putting up a new book as an experiment (not sure how excited my author would be about that) that I created with KindleGen (which for some reason ate my TOC {sigh}), running it through the DTP, and then "buying" it and dl'ing it to K4PC. I could send you the dl'ed post-DTP file that was sent for K4PC, but that will have those two pesky layers of encryption.

I'm genuinely happy to cooperate in any way, but I truly have no idea how to test a post-DTP KindleGen-created file for K4PC considering Amazon's meager resources. I can't put up a book for $0.00 as a crash-test dummy. I'm not sure I can put one up at $0.01...but tell you what, maybe I'll take some Public Domain works, create an epub, make a Kindle .mobi from Calibre, then one from KindleGen, run 'em through the DTP (man, what a PITA), and see what I get. if you, Kovid, or anyone else, has any alternative suggestions, man, I'd be happy to hear them.

Actually, Kovid, I could send you the two different .mobi files, though, "pre" DTP--the one I created with KG and the one I created with Calibre; the "content" is identical, only the coding would be different. Does that sound viable? I know it's "pre-DTP," but maybe you would spot something?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote