View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #44
suspirit
suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DXG
Necessary to flash the kernel and enter recovery mode?

Hi, I'm new to DXG un-demo and after reading the thread carefully I have some questions before working on the un-demo.

From Stangri's post, it seems that running "dd" command (flashing rootfs.img) was in normal serial console. However in dpavlin and Begemot's posts they all flash the kernel and go to recovery mode and mount MMCO as USB, and then flash rootfs.img. I found the latter was discussed in http://yifan.lu/2011/04/02/recoverin...rupt-kindle-2/. I'm not sure whether flashing the kernel, entering recovery mode and mounting MMC0 as USB are necessary? My guess is it's only necessary when the original root file system is corrupted (bricked). Could somebody confirm?

[QUOTE=stangri;2210861]

In the serial console I logged in with the login root and the password from the KindleDiagnosticTool.exe and ran the following command:
dd if=/mnt/us/rootfs.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1

At the end it started throwing errors like "Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p1, logical block nnnnnnnnnnnnn" -- as I'm guessing when it could no longer load next page/image. I've had trouble trying to reboot at this point thro the command line but after reboot with the hardware power slide I've got the working Kindle DXG with the 2.5.8 firmware.
suspirit is offline   Reply With Quote