View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The author seems to see eink ... tablets ... cloud as some sort of progression. Yet the first two are consumption tools and the latter is a delivery mechanism. The Kindle is already a "cloud" device in the sense that users need only store some content on the Kindle and leave the rest on (or "return" the read items to) the cloud. My Kindle 3 has a handful of content from non-Amazon sources and some current Kindle books I've purchased and haven't read yet. Once I read something, I delete it from the Kindle.

I don't see any need to fuss much with the ebook purchase model: some set fee per title obtained which flows back to the retailer, publisher and author. Except for niche markets, any subscription model gets to be clumsy.

The monetization, however, can come from charging for the cloud. Amazon does this now by charging publishers 15¢/MB "delivery" charge per purchase (regardless of the number of times a consumer redelivers it across his/her multiple registered devices). Another opportunity is advertising (currently being used to subsidize the device but why not pop-up ads when transferring items to/from the cloud?).

And I agree that at around $100, eink as a dedicated reader is a pretty strong value proposition. There's a camera built into virtually every smartphone these days but people continue to buy dedicated digital cameras. Tablets and other devices will take a chunk of the market but eink is likely to hold value in being simple, inexpensive and convenient.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 09-17-2011 at 10:09 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote