Thread: iPad iPad Glare Question
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I think the iPad beats any e-reader currently on the market for PDFs of all sorts, hands down. Heavy and bulky compared to a 6" Kindle? Of course it is. But my 6" Kindle can't handle text based PDFs at all without either shrinking the text to microscopic proportions or forcing me to use their new stupid pan and zoom feature over and over on every page. What a useless "feature" that turned out to be.

Take the same PDF, put it on an iPad in GoodReader. Use the crop function to get rid of the excess margins across the entire document with one click--what a freaking novel idea, are you listening, Amazon? Put the iPad on my lap and read, or use a stand. Presto--iPad is no longer heavy or bulky, and the PDF is actually readable. Graphics, of course, are gorgeous. And I can still zoom in if I need to see something up close.

As for glare, I hate it. But as others have said, the glare in a store is going to be far worse than what you experience at home. PowerSupport makes an anti glare shield that appears excellent in photos I've seen, though I haven't used it myself. I normally don't like screen protectors, but I have considered that one. Right now, I simply change the angle I'm holding the iPad at until I've found a position with less glare, and that works fine.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote