Thread: iPad iPad Glare Question
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post
Let me start off by saying I am looking for a reader for both books and a technical documents/PDFs. At first, the iPad seemed like the perfect choice, given it's PDF handling capabilities and large, fast and interactive screen. The only really downside was the price. Heck, people even told me the screen was as easy on your eyes as e-ink. I had no reason not to believe them.

However, I wanted to test it out many times before I made the decision, so I went into the local Apple store and the University book store several times to try them out.

I found that the iPad made reading nearly impossible for me. Even with the brightness all the way up, the glare was just too distracting. I tried to read some ebooks and PDFs and I would find myself just being distracted or annoyed by the ever present glare. In fact, I found my iPhone is a better reading solution.

So, my question for all of you, is how do you deal with the glare? Does it not bother you, did you get an anti-glare film, or something else?
I guess, the lighting in the store is way more distracting than in your living room or office.
I'm okay with the glare/reflection, but I wouldn't say it's close to or even identical with e-Ink.
And I wouldn't recommend iPad for technical documents.
In my opinion, iPad is perfect for comics or magazines and acceptable for casual reads. But it's too heavy and bulky and the battery won't last long enough, to use it "professionally".

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote