View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
You will almost certainly need to use a desktop application like Calibre or ADE to load non-Kobo content.

My reader has crashed hard in somewhat limited use. I don't trust it to operate if I do anything more than reading... Even changing font sizes is fraught with peril.

For someone who already has a good ereader, I don't see the point in upgrading, but if your current platform is lacking, Kobo is a fine choice.
This is what I've been saying all along. Why upgrade/change now if you have a working reader? Sure, we know about the hardware and some of the features and they sound very nice. But what we do not know about is the actual system software. The old Kobo models have bugs that have never been fixed. Does the new Kobo have bugs? Does the new nook have bugs? No idea. Let others be the beta testers and report in before deciding to do anything. Also, when buying a reader, take it as it is. Do not buy one thinking this or that problem will be fixed. Bugs/problems may never be fixed. So if there is a problem or a bug you cannot live with, don't buy until such time as the issue(s) has been fixed.

I mean, if you have a read you can use no problem, wait. What problems will the new nook & Kobo have? Will there be a touch/sans-physical keyboard Kindle with ePub? What will Sony do? These are questions we have no answer to and if you have a good enough reader, wait.

By the time Sony (they've released new devices in October) should announce a new line of Readers, we'll know about bugs/fixes/etc. for the new nook & Kobo. Also, we may know what's up with the Kindle by then too maybe. Not really sure when that will be, but if you can wait 4-7 months, then you'll know a lot more and can actually make a well informed decision instead of rushing and maybe wishing you didn't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote